Jan 23, 2013

My applique tools

006

I haven’t been on my blog for a bit, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been sewing away.  I have four blocks appliqued for my Stars and Sprigs quilt… 

005

…and three more prepped.  My way of prepping things may not be “the way”  but it works for me.  Prepping is my least favorite part of the job…I like to get it all set and ready quickly so I can sit down with needle and thread.  And I work it out from there.  Kind of impatient that way.

I first learned to applique right after I was married…about 35 years ago… and loved it right away.  Since then I have learned a lot…especially from fellow bloggers the past few years.  There are some awesome ideas out there.  I’m thankful for them all. 

013

A while ago I found this little bag, a make-up bag or something like that.  It was ideal for what I needed.  It also had advertising so I sewed the sunflower ribbon on to hide it. 

016

Perfect portable size for keeping my applique stuff handy-dandy in one spot.

022

Inside I keep…

-My Clover Quilt Dome.  In the past I used a homemade felt booklet to hold needles and threads…it was always tangled no matter how careful I was.  This little device is awesome…it holds 10 threaded needles…nice and neat and no tangles!!

-Travel soap containers are perfect for threads.  I keep my favorite ones on bobbins and refill them when needed.  Then I always have a wide assortment with me.  And I use the plastic tubing pieces idea to keep them from unraveling.  Thanks again blog ladies!

-My little house needle book was also a blogger’s idea that I fell in love with and holds used needles…I like straw needles size 10 and sometimes 11. 

-I only need a little pincushion for those teeny tiny pins and also keep a tin with more pins and stick on thimble pads. 

-I use a white charcoal pencil for outlining and a lead pencil for light fabrics. 

-I love my sharp little scissors

-and my very comfortable thimble. 

-Last, but not least, a used film canister (can’t find those anymore can you?) to hold threads and clippings and keeps everything neat and tidy.  A miniature waste can!

033

These Stars and Sprigs blocks fit just right in my case with all my supplies and I’m ready to take it anywhere with me. 

And that way…I just might finish them.

15 comments:

Carrie P. said...

all prepared to applique! great way to keep it all together. I love your background fabrics.

Marie Atkinson said...

Wonderful ideas! thanks for sharing. Being able to tote a project helps me get them done, and an organized container is the key!

Sue SA said...

Thanks nice to see how other people organise themselves and the tools they use. I am trying to get back into applique as I lost the skill after a 5 year break, so I was very interested in how you prep your work.

Ann-Mari said...

Thanks for charing your toolbox. I also do a lot of applique, and have a toolbox very similar to yours. And I love your blocks.

Gayle said...

What a great kit for your applique - I might have to borrow some of your ideas. Right now I have everything in one of the clear plastic zippered pouches that new sheets come in. It's handy to be able to see everything, but I really like what you've done... Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

Wonderful! I have those same scissors...they are my favorite! I use the film canisters too...but now I use little pharmacy vials. Have a great evening...love the blocks!!

Janet said...

What beautiful blocks! I love the backgrounds you are using.

Karen said...

The applique blocks caught my eye right away. Very good fabric choices!

Angie said...

Perfect!! Love your bag and everything right there at hand, all neat and tidy.

Angie said...

And I TOTALLY love your applique blocks and that fabric stash---had to go take a long second look at those---oh so gorgeous

Days and colors said...

So well organized and tidy, now wonder you are a successful quilter! I see that the way you applique is about the same I do, marked with a quilt pencil and pinned with little pins. Thanks for sahring this! Happy appliqué!

Darlene said...

Love, love your blocks, Annette.

Your sturdy case is perfect to hold all your needs. It was a great find.

Sohbetci said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Thelma said...

I love that Stars and Sprigs pattern! Between that border and your wedding ring project you have a very inspiring year ahead of you. I have no doubt you'll have these two amazing quilts finished this year. Enjoy the journey, it's going to be a rewarding one.

Nanette Merrill said...

You are so organized, super impressive. I always like to see how other people work. Prep is so important. I like to prep a bunch of applique like that before a trip or when I know I'll spend time away from my sewing room for a bit. It makes me feel like I'm not going to be stuck without something to keep my mind and hands busy. I bet you know just what I mean. I wish I could take a little kit and applique like this to church but I would get disapproving looks, for sure.

Related Posts with Thumbnails