Aug 2, 2008

Sewing essentials

I enjoyed Nanette's post about the special sewing caddies and tools she uses at her machine and when hand stitching. My sewing "caddy" is a nifty little drawer that sits right in front of my machine. I can reach inside for whatever I want, almost without looking and would be lost without it. I've even learned how to sew with it opened sometimes. It is just so important.

Did you notice there are 3 tools for unpicking mistakes? They come in handy....all 3. And really get a workout!


For take-along projects I found these terrific little totes and now I can't do without them. They are small yet hold quite a bit, keeping things sorted for me. They snap apart and I can add or subtract sections, taking along only those I need at the time.


They aren't very quaint or charming on their own but when filled with beautiful threads, fabrics and project pieces the charm is there for sure.


Daisies are my favorite flower and so, of course, I couldn't resist these little buttons. Threaded together as a fob for my scissors they also add a little whimsy to my simple plastic stitching caddy.



And speaking of scissors, here is my favorite well worn pair, kept in my nifty little drawer along with a stern warning for the scissor poachers around my house!


6 comments:

Bloom said...

Thanks for sharing your sewing tote contents! It is really fun to see how other girls organise their stuff, and I have to say, yours looks impeccably organised! Love the idea of those stackable plastic containers - I will be watching out for some of those at the shops. Your little Noah's Ark blocks are looking gorgeous. The fabrics you have chosen are very sweet.

Anonymous said...

How funny! I do the same thing with my scissors to keep them safe from non-sewing uses!! Also so nice to see how you keep everything so organize - I'm a chaotic mess compared to you!

Arlette said...

Hi Annette,
I love the little poem that you've attached to your sewing scissors. I need to come up with something like that.
Thank you for sharing your sewing tote and it's contents. I love how it separates into sections leaving you to decide exactly how many sections you'd like to tote along with you. Very versatile. It's always fun to see how everyone organizes their sewing items.
Take care.
Aloha!

The Hodsons said...

Who are the scissor snatchers??? Dad really needs to keep his hands off!

Nanette Merrill said...

I love seeing your set-up. Its great to learn how others do things and incorporate a little of everyone in our ways. Thanks Annette!

Cathy said...

How tidy are you!!! I'm impressed!! Loved the scissor verse...i need one of those with my scissors. had a lovely look around your blog..came to you from Peg's. Cathy

Related Posts with Thumbnails